Dr. Tierney for Thyroid Surgery- Making the right Choice
The steps followed before surgery are:
- An office visit for surgical consultation where a comprehensive history and physical exam is performed.
- Completion of clinical tests for work-up and staging.
- Multidisciplinary tumor board review for expert recommendation regarding treatment strategy.
The type of surgical procedure done determines the kind of post-surgery care required. Post care after a surgical operation involves:
- A brief admission to the ICU is sometimes required for complex procedures such as a whipple procedure. Recovery then continues in the hospital ward for another three to five days. Procedures performed robotically typically have a faster recovery and can expect discharge from the hospital one or two days earlier than open procedures.
- The goals of postoperative care include: monitoring for and intervening on any complications that can occur, awaiting the resumption of normal bowel function, maintaining adequate hydration and nutrition, physical and occupational rehabilitation, and providing adequate pain control. Once these measures are met, the patient will be discharged from the hospital. Post-operative follow-up will be scheduled one week from discharge with Dr. Tierney.